Friday, August 10, 2012

The Golden Ticket


Tonight was one of the most highly anticipated nights of the trip. At 7:45 PM we would have the opportunity to watch Team USA Women’s soccer team compete for the gold medal against Japan. We were more than ready, all 18 of us decked out, smothered in patriotism and ready to see the Us Womens' Soccer team take the gold.

Our journey to Wembley was quite an interesting one seeing that we were continuously stopped for photos with strangers. We were getting cheered on as we walked through the tube and to the stadium.."USA, USA,USA". It felt amazing to see other Americans or people who were rooting for America, made me feel even more proud to be an American than I already did. 

The stadium was packed..I mean PACKED! Around 80,000 people were there so you could imagine how cramped everything was. It didn't matter though, the tremendous enviornment and the anticipation made the annoyance of waiting in line disappear.

As we made our way to our seats, tenth row seats by the way, The Edge of Glory by Lady Gaga was playing (my rolemodel, God and inspiraition). My heart sank to my stomach and I just knew that we were going to win..we had to..Gaga was wishing us luck and I knew we would not dissapoint. The game started and my heart was beating out of my chest. I never was so invested in a game before. Our girls were kicking ass as expected and we scored against Japan in the first half leaving the score 1-0 at half time. When they scored we went crazy, I never screamed so loud in my life. My voice is gone today in case you were wondering. The game cotinued and Japan scored  goal after we scored our second. It was such an intense game with so many missed goals that couldve either made us or brought us down. 

Close to the end of the game, the rest of our group started screaming at us and it turns out that Hannah, merideth and I were on TV. OFCOURSE I was fixing my makeup...typical. Out of 80,000 people we were on TV that is NUTS! This moment made the night even more magical and then ofcourse the 90 minutes end and there is 2 minutes of overtime...I think I experienced what a heart attack would be like BUT WE WON! I experienced watching our womens soccer team win a gold medal. PRICELESS

Last night was everything I hoped for and more. It is one of the most amazing moments of my life and I am such a lucky girl to have experienced this with great people. I know that one day my sister will be playing at Wembley in an Olympic game. Seeing her play brings tears to my eyes now and I can't even begin to explain how proud of her I would be if she made it to the Olympics. I have full faith that she will be there. 

I'm at a loss for words to explain the feeling that I feel, it is sureal but what a great way to end my amazing trip to London!



Cheers to the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment